Last winter our garden was the toilet for all the local cats. Little T was just crawling, but I desperately wanted to be able to use our garden in the spring/summer when T would be walking. After a bit of trial and error, I finally have a poo-free garden to enjoy with my little man. Here are my 7 tips on how to stop cats pooing in your garden.
Photograph copyright: vvvita / 123RF Stock Photo
1. Pick up poo. You need to pick up the cat’s poo as soon as you find it. If you leave it there it will encourage them to keep coming back. Feel free to mutter expletives under your breath while you do it.
2. Don’t use chilli. You may find people recommend putting down chilli powder. Don’t. It’s not just that the cats don’t like it, it’s actually pretty cruel. Find a more humane way of deterring them.
3. Half empty water bottles. Apparently the way the light looks when it hits the water freaks them out.
4. CD’s on a string. Again, they don’t like the reflection of sunlight. I also thought this might be quite a nice sensory thing for little T when he was a baby.
5. Citrus peel. Orange and lemon peel smell foul to cats so if you have any lying around, you just found a use for it, hooray.
6. Lion poo. Seriously, you can buy lion poo! Apparently the cats can tell from the smell that it is the territory of a more dominant cat. I almost bought it because I loved the idea of it, but then realised I was replacing one type of poo with another!
7. Buy an electronic cat scarer*. This emits a very loud high pitched noise which is apparently inaudible to humans but scares away cats. I was amazed that after about a week there was no more cat poo in our garden. They stayed away long after the batteries died too. The other day I found a stray poo, so I put new batteries in. Turns out toddlers can hear the noise it makes! T was fascinated by it. He sat in front of it for ages pointing at it and making high pitched squeaky noises, it was incredibly cute.
*This is an affiliate link so I receive a commission if you buy the cat scarer through this link. I only recommend products I have tried and loved.