Welcome back to this week’s One Meal for All feature of low FODMAP, baby led weaning friendly, vegetarian recipes! This week’s recipe of vegetarian spaghetti bolognese is a family favourite but also creates a bit of a dilemma because there are two competing needs here: baby led weaning and low FODMAP. And I’m not making two different meals, this is ‘One Meal for All’ after all!
- Quorn mince. In the past this would have been my go to ingredient. It’s also great for a low FODMAP diet. However, in my post on how not to starve a vegetarian toddler, I explained how Quorn is too low fat and high in fibre for babies to consume in large amounts.
- Tinned lentils. Assess your individual tolerance. You may be able to tolerate up to 60g of well-rinsed tinned lentils (which is roughly the amount in a portion of this recipe), however, they are high in GOS and fructans, so they’re not ideal for a low FODMAP diet. On the other hand, lentils are a fab source of protein and iron for a vegetarian toddler.
So, what to do? I tend to make the recipe with lentils because T is on the small side and I want to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs. If I have a small portion and limit my intake of other FODMAPs, I’m usually ok (but I probably wouldn’t have it the day before something important!).
Another option would be to make it half and half. The recipe is perfect for batch cooking as it freezes well, and is great in a lasagne, so you could double up the quantities (so as not to waste 1/2 a tin of lentils).
Or, if you’re not cooking for a toddler, just make it with Quorn mince, it’s yummy!
Prep time: 45 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves (or use garlic-infused oil)
2 rashers Quorn bacon, cut into 1cm wide strips
1 carrot, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin lentils, drained and well rinsed, or 250g vegetarian mince
freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the whole garlic cloves for several minutes until they are starting to brown on all sides. Remove garlic cloves and discard.
- Fry the Quorn bacon until it’s starting to get crispy.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook until they start to soften.
- Stir in the asafoetida and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato puree, red wine vinegar, chopped tomatoes, lentils/mince and bay leaf. Season with black pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes then serve with gluten-free spaghetti.
Check out my other vegetarian low FODMAP recipes.